Sunday, February 26, 2012

Export to Excel changes page orientation

I have report page height defined as 11 in. and width as 8.5 in. When I
export the report to pdf, it comes fine in portrait format. But when the
report is exported to Excel, the orientation is changed to Landscape. Even
the page margins are not preserved.
Is it that Excel overrides the report page setup or RS changes the page
settings by itself when the report is exported? I changed the default printer
settings to have "portrait" as the default print format. But still exporting
the report to Excel changes this.
Please let me know if you have found any solution to such a problem.
Thanks in advance,
MilinAccording to the RS help, when you export a report to Excel, this doesn't
take to account the format of the page. There are, in field properties, two
options that allow the field is able to enlarge and shrink. Have you tried
not selecting them?
"Milu" wrote:
> I have report page height defined as 11 in. and width as 8.5 in. When I
> export the report to pdf, it comes fine in portrait format. But when the
> report is exported to Excel, the orientation is changed to Landscape. Even
> the page margins are not preserved.
> Is it that Excel overrides the report page setup or RS changes the page
> settings by itself when the report is exported? I changed the default printer
> settings to have "portrait" as the default print format. But still exporting
> the report to Excel changes this.
> Please let me know if you have found any solution to such a problem.
> Thanks in advance,
> Milin|||Thanks for ur reply.
If u r talking about the "CanGrow" and "CanShrink" properties, I tried
setting them both, true and false. But none of this helped. Is this related
to report orientation changing to landscape?
If you have got positive result trying something, please do let me know.
Thanks,
Milin
"PSM" wrote:
> According to the RS help, when you export a report to Excel, this doesn't
> take to account the format of the page. There are, in field properties, two
> options that allow the field is able to enlarge and shrink. Have you tried
> not selecting them?
> "Milu" wrote:
> > I have report page height defined as 11 in. and width as 8.5 in. When I
> > export the report to pdf, it comes fine in portrait format. But when the
> > report is exported to Excel, the orientation is changed to Landscape. Even
> > the page margins are not preserved.
> >
> > Is it that Excel overrides the report page setup or RS changes the page
> > settings by itself when the report is exported? I changed the default printer
> > settings to have "portrait" as the default print format. But still exporting
> > the report to Excel changes this.
> >
> > Please let me know if you have found any solution to such a problem.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Milin|||Yes, I was talking about the CanGrow and CanShrink properties. I have never
tried to select a report orientation when I have exported to Excel but, I
have found something I hope you find it useful.
When you export a report to Excel, the width and the height of the page are
looked up in a internal table where there are the most used sizes and
orientations. If they exist in the table, the page format is chosen. If not
so, orientation is determined by comparing height with width. If height is
smaller than width, landscape is chosen.
"Milu" wrote:
> Thanks for ur reply.
> If u r talking about the "CanGrow" and "CanShrink" properties, I tried
> setting them both, true and false. But none of this helped. Is this related
> to report orientation changing to landscape?
> If you have got positive result trying something, please do let me know.
> Thanks,
> Milin
> "PSM" wrote:
> > According to the RS help, when you export a report to Excel, this doesn't
> > take to account the format of the page. There are, in field properties, two
> > options that allow the field is able to enlarge and shrink. Have you tried
> > not selecting them?
> >
> > "Milu" wrote:
> >
> > > I have report page height defined as 11 in. and width as 8.5 in. When I
> > > export the report to pdf, it comes fine in portrait format. But when the
> > > report is exported to Excel, the orientation is changed to Landscape. Even
> > > the page margins are not preserved.
> > >
> > > Is it that Excel overrides the report page setup or RS changes the page
> > > settings by itself when the report is exported? I changed the default printer
> > > settings to have "portrait" as the default print format. But still exporting
> > > the report to Excel changes this.
> > >
> > > Please let me know if you have found any solution to such a problem.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Milin|||Yes, I came across that internal table stuff in RS documentation. But as I
mentioned earlier, height is 11 in. and width is 8.5 in. and this is standard
A4 portrait size. Still in Excel, the orientation appears as Landscape.
Is it possible you can try a simple report with this page setting and see
the results in Excel. If Excel has its landscape, then it seems like a bug in
RS Excel export functionality.
Please let me know about it.
Thanks,
Milin
"PSM" wrote:
> Yes, I was talking about the CanGrow and CanShrink properties. I have never
> tried to select a report orientation when I have exported to Excel but, I
> have found something I hope you find it useful.
> When you export a report to Excel, the width and the height of the page are
> looked up in a internal table where there are the most used sizes and
> orientations. If they exist in the table, the page format is chosen. If not
> so, orientation is determined by comparing height with width. If height is
> smaller than width, landscape is chosen.
> "Milu" wrote:
> > Thanks for ur reply.
> >
> > If u r talking about the "CanGrow" and "CanShrink" properties, I tried
> > setting them both, true and false. But none of this helped. Is this related
> > to report orientation changing to landscape?
> >
> > If you have got positive result trying something, please do let me know.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Milin
> >
> > "PSM" wrote:
> >
> > > According to the RS help, when you export a report to Excel, this doesn't
> > > take to account the format of the page. There are, in field properties, two
> > > options that allow the field is able to enlarge and shrink. Have you tried
> > > not selecting them?
> > >
> > > "Milu" wrote:
> > >
> > > > I have report page height defined as 11 in. and width as 8.5 in. When I
> > > > export the report to pdf, it comes fine in portrait format. But when the
> > > > report is exported to Excel, the orientation is changed to Landscape. Even
> > > > the page margins are not preserved.
> > > >
> > > > Is it that Excel overrides the report page setup or RS changes the page
> > > > settings by itself when the report is exported? I changed the default printer
> > > > settings to have "portrait" as the default print format. But still exporting
> > > > the report to Excel changes this.
> > > >
> > > > Please let me know if you have found any solution to such a problem.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks in advance,
> > > > Milin|||I have been checking a report and it works like you say. Excel always use
landscape orientation. I think you are right. It seems like a bug in RS Excel
export functionality.
I am sorry I have been of no help.
"Milu" wrote:
> Yes, I came across that internal table stuff in RS documentation. But as I
> mentioned earlier, height is 11 in. and width is 8.5 in. and this is standard
> A4 portrait size. Still in Excel, the orientation appears as Landscape.
> Is it possible you can try a simple report with this page setting and see
> the results in Excel. If Excel has its landscape, then it seems like a bug in
> RS Excel export functionality.
> Please let me know about it.
> Thanks,
> Milin
>
> "PSM" wrote:
> > Yes, I was talking about the CanGrow and CanShrink properties. I have never
> > tried to select a report orientation when I have exported to Excel but, I
> > have found something I hope you find it useful.
> > When you export a report to Excel, the width and the height of the page are
> > looked up in a internal table where there are the most used sizes and
> > orientations. If they exist in the table, the page format is chosen. If not
> > so, orientation is determined by comparing height with width. If height is
> > smaller than width, landscape is chosen.
> >
> > "Milu" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for ur reply.
> > >
> > > If u r talking about the "CanGrow" and "CanShrink" properties, I tried
> > > setting them both, true and false. But none of this helped. Is this related
> > > to report orientation changing to landscape?
> > >
> > > If you have got positive result trying something, please do let me know.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Milin
> > >
> > > "PSM" wrote:
> > >
> > > > According to the RS help, when you export a report to Excel, this doesn't
> > > > take to account the format of the page. There are, in field properties, two
> > > > options that allow the field is able to enlarge and shrink. Have you tried
> > > > not selecting them?
> > > >
> > > > "Milu" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > I have report page height defined as 11 in. and width as 8.5 in. When I
> > > > > export the report to pdf, it comes fine in portrait format. But when the
> > > > > report is exported to Excel, the orientation is changed to Landscape. Even
> > > > > the page margins are not preserved.
> > > > >
> > > > > Is it that Excel overrides the report page setup or RS changes the page
> > > > > settings by itself when the report is exported? I changed the default printer
> > > > > settings to have "portrait" as the default print format. But still exporting
> > > > > the report to Excel changes this.
> > > > >
> > > > > Please let me know if you have found any solution to such a problem.
> > > > >
> > > > > Thanks in advance,
> > > > > Milin|||I've also experienced this problem. It appears that Excel uses the
ratio of body height to body width to determine orientation instead of
page size. If you set the body height to be greater than the body
width, it will be portrait orientation when exported to Excel.
PSM wrote:
> I have been checking a report and it works like you say. Excel always use
> landscape orientation. I think you are right. It seems like a bug in RS Excel
> export functionality.
> I am sorry I have been of no help.
> "Milu" wrote:
> > Yes, I came across that internal table stuff in RS documentation. But as I
> > mentioned earlier, height is 11 in. and width is 8.5 in. and this is standard
> > A4 portrait size. Still in Excel, the orientation appears as Landscape.
> >
> > Is it possible you can try a simple report with this page setting and see
> > the results in Excel. If Excel has its landscape, then it seems like a bug in
> > RS Excel export functionality.
> >
> > Please let me know about it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Milin
> >
> >
> > "PSM" wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, I was talking about the CanGrow and CanShrink properties. I have never
> > > tried to select a report orientation when I have exported to Excel but, I
> > > have found something I hope you find it useful.
> > > When you export a report to Excel, the width and the height of the page are
> > > looked up in a internal table where there are the most used sizes and
> > > orientations. If they exist in the table, the page format is chosen. If not
> > > so, orientation is determined by comparing height with width. If height is
> > > smaller than width, landscape is chosen.
> > >
> > > "Milu" wrote:
> > >
> > > > Thanks for ur reply.
> > > >
> > > > If u r talking about the "CanGrow" and "CanShrink" properties, I tried
> > > > setting them both, true and false. But none of this helped. Is this related
> > > > to report orientation changing to landscape?
> > > >
> > > > If you have got positive result trying something, please do let me know.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > > Milin
> > > >
> > > > "PSM" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > According to the RS help, when you export a report to Excel, this doesn't
> > > > > take to account the format of the page. There are, in field properties, two
> > > > > options that allow the field is able to enlarge and shrink. Have you tried
> > > > > not selecting them?
> > > > >
> > > > > "Milu" wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > I have report page height defined as 11 in. and width as 8.5 in. When I
> > > > > > export the report to pdf, it comes fine in portrait format. But when the
> > > > > > report is exported to Excel, the orientation is changed to Landscape. Even
> > > > > > the page margins are not preserved.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Is it that Excel overrides the report page setup or RS changes the page
> > > > > > settings by itself when the report is exported? I changed the default printer
> > > > > > settings to have "portrait" as the default print format. But still exporting
> > > > > > the report to Excel changes this.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Please let me know if you have found any solution to such a problem.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Thanks in advance,
> > > > > > Milin

No comments:

Post a Comment